1/16/2010

The Louboutin red sole paradox...

Women and heels have had a very long relationship..they lengthen the legs, give the wearer poise and empowerment, and well, they're a treat to the eye even when displayed in a shop window!

Christian Louboutin's famous red-soled stilettos are no exception in their aestheticism - the flash of red underneath a classic stiletto is enough to make any woman (or man for that matter) dizzy with lust! The red soles are a Louboutin trademark and are instantly recognisable. It's no surprise that Louboutin red soles are as covetable as ever since their introduction in 1992!

Christian Louboutin explains the inspiration to the red soles:
“I did not really choose the red sole. It's more like the red sole came to me and had to stay with me. It started as a happy accident, which I kept. I was very inspired by pop art so all my drawings were really full of colours. So the first prototype arrives...but something was missing. Thank God I had this girl with me who was painting her nails..I grabbed the nailpolish and I painted the sole..This was such a success that it became a permanent fixture.”

So, Louboutin shoes were inspired by nail polish! Perhaps it's interesting and ironic that a craze of recent months has become "The louboutin manicure"! Just as the name suggests, the manicure involves painting the nails black and the underside in a racy, scarlet red! Manicurist Zoe Pocock, stated: "Your nails should be worn to match your shoes or handbag!"

The paradox to which my title refers can be explained as follows: A nail trend inspired by shoes which were inspired originally by nails!

I, personally, really like the idea of recreating the Louboutin red-soled heels with nail varnish. I think that it's important to only try this look on very, very long nails as otherwise the effect will appear less sophisticated and couture and more Dracula!

My new year's resolution should now be to grow my nails really long, so that I can try the 'Louboutin manicure'! It's certainly a good way to 'nail' the Louboutin look without a humongous hole in your wallet!

je-suis-style
xox

0 comments :

Post a Comment